Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Letter from M7 President, Joe Lasher

Team,

We are all saddened by the loss of our historic Barn at Claxton Farm. As you may or may not know, M7 Event Solutions was essentially formed on that Flat Top lawn in front of that old barn in February of 1996 when Martha Ann Claxton and I met to discuss possibilities. Over the last 14 years, we’ve grown into the company that we are today. The barn evolved with our company over the years with the addition of lights, then restrooms, then stage and bar area modifications. After that came beverage equipment, refrigeration equipment and more storage. A new roof was added and more electricity to accommodate the growing demand. We modified and modified the old barn, always trying to keep the rustic simplicity and charm. It is tragic to lose all of the history and effort that went into making the barn what it was in the end.

I was out of town when the fire occurred Monday evening and cut my trip short. As I drove across NC, I thought of all the personal events that have happened for me in that old barn. My son’s first birthday party; my grandparents 50th anniversary; my sister’s wedding; my tenth anniversary celebration; and countless other personal moments. I did not know what emotions would flow when I saw the charred remains of the building. As I rounded the curve and turned into the gravel drive leading up the barn site, my spirits were lifted. Yes, the barn was gone, but the view and setting were more clear and more majestic than I’d ever seen. I realized that I was experiencing Claxton Farm like I did the FIRST time I met Martha Ann in the winter of 1996. My heart and mind were flooded with possibility!

Shortly after I arrived at the site and had spoken with the investigators, I moved to the side of the Flat Top to reflect on the situation. Porter Claxton drove up and exited his vehicle. We met on the Flat Top lawn like we have 1000 times before, but in this new setting. His first comment was “Joe, this has opportunity written all over it”. He doesn’t know it, but he got the words out before I could.

Folks, I want you to know that the plan is DEFINITELY to regroup and rebuild. And, although the old barn is a tragic loss, we have the opportunity to recreate all that was GREAT about the barn….the charm and simplicity of design….and put it into a fully functional event venue that will allow us to introduce even more people to our mountains and the majesty of Claxton Farm through events held well into the future. We are meeting and discussing this immediately and regularly and will continue to do so until the plans are in place and construction has begun.

Please forward this letter to all past, present and future Claxton Farm Clients. They need to know that we have set up a BLOG at www.claxtonfarm.blogspot.com that they can visit for updates and to share their comments and stories. I strongly encourage anyone that is considering their event at Claxton Farm in 2010 to go forward with securing their date now. Plans will be unveiled over the coming weeks. If they are dissatisfied with the direction we are going, then deposits will be refunded. I truly believe that we are taking a huge step to reassure the community and our industry partners that Claxton Farm will REMAIN a premier event destination long into the future.

Thank you so much for your work and efforts during this time!

With much appreciation,

Joe


Joe Lasher, President
M7 Event Solutions & Catering

11 comments:

  1. Way to go M7...we are supporting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although saddened by the loss of the barn, we look forward to the new possibilities of Claxton Farm. We stand behind M7 100% and look forward to continuing our great relationship!
    Nicole, Jennifer, and the Verge Events team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the pleasure and honor of being the first bride in 2010 to marry at what will now be the "new" Claxton Farm! The loss of the original barn is so tragic and its beauty cannot be forgotten, but the optimism that the Claxtons, Joe, Micah, and all the other M7 folks have surrounding this whole incident is inspirational. There isn't a doubt in my mind that my wedding day will be a perfectly executed celebration- and exactly as I have imagined it from the beginning. I look forward to seeing the new barn and have such confidence in M7 and the Claxtons to put together something amazing for me- and all the other future Claxton brides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Claxtons and M7,
    My husband and I got married at your farm June 1st, 2008. My heart twinged when I heard the barn burned down, I'm so sad! But honestly, I had an amazing time on my wedding day, and the barn was only part of that charm. Your farm is breathtakingly beautiful, the animals are so much fun, the lake is gorgeous, the Claxtons are wonderful people as are M7 staff (Micah rocks!), and the cabin for guests was great! I feel sorry for those who don't get to be married in a 100 year old tobacco barn, but whatever structure replaces it, I know it will be awesome! Good luck!
    All of my love,
    Helena Root

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one that has planned so many wonderful events at Claxton Farm with the security of knowing that the staff of M7 would deliver a flawless experience, I was saddened to hear that the quaint barn had been destroyed. However there is no doubt that the magic remains: the breathtaking mountains, the perfectly formed flat topped knoll with endless possibilities, the Claxtons, M7, the pond, the cattle,the bonfires, the music,
    the echos of the laughter & incredible memories that thousands of people share from their visit to this special spot. I cannot wait to see the phoenix that will rise from the ashes....the sky is the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherman Grayson and Meggan Murphy-GraysonNovember 5, 2009 at 1:55 AM

    Sherman and I are still so excited to have our wedding at Claxton Farm on June 27, 2010. :)

    We were so happy to hear that no mini-horses were injured in the fire! We love those lil' guys! :)

    Though we're shocked and sad for the loss of the old barn, we're also progressive thinkers in that we feel fully confident the new barn will be the "cool big brother" of the old barn. :)

    To the M7 and Claxton Team: thanks so much for being who you are! Everything happens for a reason! We are fully with you guys and we cannot wait to have the new structure revealed!

    Let's get some disco lights and a swimming pool! hahah!

    Talk to you guys soon!

    All the best,
    Meggan and Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having been a part of the M7 team for several years, we were certainly shocked when we saw the report of the Claxton Farm barn being destroyed. However, we know how M7 and the Claxtons are; what would be a setback to some will be a springboard for you. We know that this will only make this team stronger and allow it to grow like never before. Thank you all - we're with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fiance and I are set for this June and I'm excited to seeing the designs for the new barn!

    I have my fingers crossed that the construction runs on schedule. Will you post the design on the blog when you have them? I'm curious to see if there will be space within the barn for the bride and groom to get ready separately with their friends. I'm sure it will all look fantastic.

    Thank you so much for moving forward so quickly after such a terrible event! I can't wait to say our wedding was at Claxton Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While we will miss the old barn we look forward to the new opportunities! Our past events at Claxton Farm were incredibly successful thanks to the wonderful M7 staff. We look forward to seeing the progres...Becca & Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear M-7 family,
    I am so glad to hear that plans have already been made and rebuilding will start so soon. I can't wait to do my "flower magic" in the new structure ...with a floor! Now how cool is that?!
    The prospect of having that wonderful knoll available for year-round events is exciting. I'm just picturing it all lit up with candles and lights shining out the windows across the field....perhaps covered with a smooth layer of snow. A crackling fire in the fireplace inviting friends and family to mingle and chat. Chef Alan stands proudly in the door of a new fully equiped kitchen. Of course the tables are set with beautiful flower designs and more candlelight, I just love Claxton Farm!
    And love working with you guys, Can't wait to see it.
    Janet P. Frye CFD
    The Enchanted Florist

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have any interior renderings of the space? it would be helpful to see ceiling heights and spatial relationships.

    ReplyDelete